Monday, November 5, 2012

#4 Casey The Rat

Yesterday we lost our sweet cat Meera and the household is still reeling. My eleven year old son is especially grief stricken. We had thought that she was doing better several times but  the latest relapse and the prospect of another round of painful and invasive medical treatments drove us the make the difficult decision to have her put to sleep. I will be doing another portrait of her for my creature series later when I am not so sad.

This weeks post is a portrait of another recently departed little pet; Casey the rat. I neglected to take a picture of the full painting before I framed and delivered it, (I often forget!) This is a photo I took before I finished the jacket and background.
  Those who know me are aware of my fear of rodents and may be surprised to see this little painting. Any type of rodent and especially rats have always given me the heebie jeebies.
Over the years however I have been educated by my daughter and her friends that rats make fabulous pets; they are affectionate, loyal and smart. Who would have thought?
This little girl ratty I painted on her owner's shoulder, (my daughter's boyfriend.) His mother commissioned the portrait as a birthday gift for him, I hope it makes him smile when he sees it on the wall.
The only drawback with rats as pets is the short time they are with us, usually three or four years. It's hard to lose them so soon but the rat lovers I know say it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment